Monday, June 29, 2009

firewood and beetles

Once again NPR comes through with some pretty important things to consider....such as where your firewood comes from. NPR reports that the Asian Longhorn Beetle is making huge strides in destroying hardwood forests by being spread by folks like us taking infected firewood on vacation with us.


As such, "New Hampshire and Vermont are banning wood from out-of-state as part of a major outreach campaign to prevent the spread of the beetles, which could cause epic devastation if they reach the Northeast's hardwood forests". Wow! That made me think about where the firewood for my fireplace comes from. Unfortunately, I have to obtain firewood from outside sources as I live on a very small lot. Where the trees infected trees? Is the left over wood now releasing beetles onto my property? Yet another example of just how important it is to know where the things you buy/consume come from. For more info, check out the link below.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105438580

No comments:

Post a Comment

things to ponder

My photo
Connecticut, United States
1 person, 1 passion. I am an Eco-artist and arts educator who is attempting to make the world a slightly better place every day.