Tuesday, May 26, 2009

old logs and North Korea

An old log, probably once a large limb from a nearby willow, came floating down the lake during an early winter storm. It nestled itself into the mud right below the tree house amongst the lily pads and cattails. At first my inclination was to push it back out into the open water and have it ride the north wind further down the lake. I even went out in my kayak and prodded it several times with my paddle to see how easily it could be moved. It did move. I could have sent it on its way, but instead I decided to leave it there and see what would happen.

The winter progressed. The ice came and went and by spring the log had settled a more into its new home. It is now partially submerged near its center and either end of has certain characteristics that have earned it the title "alligator log". It really does look like an alligator! It would be great for a bit of fun once in awhile, if only alligators were native to Connecticut.

Well this week the alligator log has lots of visitors as it seems to have become a favorite hangout for painted turtles, mud turtles and small snapping turtles. Occasionally there is some gesturing, snipping and renegotiating for space, but overall they all seem to tolerate eat other just so they can share a great basking location. I took this all in while hearing the latest on nuclear missiles, nuclear bomb testings and border disputes on NPR.

One log, one world, one sun. I think that even turtles are smarter than people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

things to ponder

My photo
Connecticut, United States
1 person, 1 passion. I am an Eco-artist and arts educator who is attempting to make the world a slightly better place every day.